Richland Community College
BLDD worked with Richland Community College to THINK BIG and reinvent educational spaces on campus. The process maximizes input from the students, faculty, staff, and local business leaders and gives students and faculty an opportunity to experience new educational environments by prototyping spaces before they were incorporated into a completed project.
The college developed strategic goals for the project:
- Deploy innovative instructional delivery and assessment systems.
- Expand project-based and other career focused learning experiences for students.
- Establish robust student support systems including proactive advising and work-based career-focused experiences.
The THINK BIG design thinking process involved the following steps:
- Exemplar tours: visit facilities where the environments in questions are being utilized successfully.
- Empathy: through observation, interviews, and analysis, develop an in-depth understanding of all of the stakeholders challenges.
- Define: Using information garnered above, define the problem to be solved.
- Ideate: Giving students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to be architects and propose solutions to the defined problem. Develop as many possible solutions for consideration.
- Prototype: Implement a proposed solution quickly and cost effectively.
- Test: Evaluate a prototype solution. Develop insights into why it is successful or, more likely unsuccessful.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 for each prototype.